The curve traced by a point on the circumference of a circle that is rolling on the interior of another circle.
- It was also investigated by Steiner in 1856 and is sometimes called Steiner's hypocycloid.
- The present invention relates to a hypocycloid gear assembly used in internal combustion engines.
- If the describing circle is half the diameter of the pitch circle, the hypocycloid is a radial straight line.
- Example sentences
- Two lateral tomograms of the temporal bone 6 mm apart, acquired with hypocycloidal tomography.
- The hypocycloidal annulus must have exactly twice as many teeth as the orbiting planet gear.
- Because of the 2: 1 mechanical advantage of the hypocycloidal drive, 50% less force is required for braking.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of hypocycloid in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.