noun (plural hypolimnionia /-nēə/)
- The lower layer of water in a stratified lake, typically cooler than the water above and relatively stagnant.More example sentences
- MeHg accumulated in the hypolimnion of Lake 240 when oxygen was present.
- The mean acoustic size of rising bubbles decreased in the hypolimnion but increased in the epilimnion.
- Both ponds are dystrophic, surrounded by extensive mats of Sphagnum, and stratified in summer with anoxic hypolimnia.
early 20th century: from hypo- 'below' + Greek limnion (diminutive of limnē 'lake').
More definitions of hypolimnionDefinition of hypolimnion in:
- The British & World English dictionary