Entry from British & World English dictionary
- This arrangement is distinguishable from the hypothec of Roman Law and of modern civil law, which is comparable to a mortgage.
- Many forms of jus existed short of ownership, notably the hypothec, the civilian equivalent of the mortgage.
- However, movable hypothecs are a form of real security, while suretyship is a form of personal security.
- Example sentences
- After destruction of the property by fire, the insurer repaid the hypothecary loans to the lender.
- If in Spain it is simple enough to receive a hypothecary credit, in Italy it is a difficult process.
- The insurance of your real estate will be precisely tailored to the parameters of your hypothecary loan.
Early 16th century: from French hypothèque, via late Latin from Greek hupothēkē 'deposit' (from hupo 'under' + tithenai 'to place').
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.