Definition of hypothesize in English:
Put (something) forward as a hypothesis: it was reasonable to hypothesize a viral causality [with clause]: they hypothesize that the naturally high insulin levels result from a “thrifty gene.”
More example sentences
- The ancient Greek philosopher Aristotle hypothesised that space was filled with invisible ether.
- Wolf hypothesizes a cause-and-effect relationship between women's liberation and society's ideal of beauty.
- Considering Rousseau, with whom he quarrelled, as utopian, he hypothesized an art which was morally neutral and elitist.
- Example sentences
- But the story is misleading: in fact linguists are far more likely to be intrepid hypothesizers than critical snipers.
- No wonder why traders like to give efficient market hypothesizers a bad time.
- Two things are needed for this: an enthusiastic hypothesiser and an interesting subject.
Definition of hypothesize in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.