Definition of hypothesize in English:
Put (something) forward as a hypothesis: it was reasonable to hypothesize a viral causality [with clause]: they hypothesize that the naturally high insulin levels result from a “thrifty gene.”
More example sentences
- The ancient Greek philosopher Aristotle hypothesised that space was filled with invisible ether.
- Wolf hypothesizes a cause-and-effect relationship between women's liberation and society's ideal of beauty.
- Considering Rousseau, with whom he quarrelled, as utopian, he hypothesized an art which was morally neutral and elitist.
- Example sentences
- But the story is misleading: in fact linguists are far more likely to be intrepid hypothesizers than critical snipers.
- No wonder why traders like to give efficient market hypothesizers a bad time.
- Two things are needed for this: an enthusiastic hypothesiser and an interesting subject.
Definition of hypothesize in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan