1Having reduced pressure or tone, in particular.
- Vasopressin continued to act in patients excreting isotonic or hypertonic urine, so hypotonic intake must be avoided in them.
- However, in vivo sampling methods lead to the stimulation of a relatively hypotonic glandular secretion.
- A potential limitation of the presented methods is that pressure-flow measurements were generated under hypotonic conditions.
1.1 Biology Having a lower osmotic pressure than a particular fluid, typically a body fluid or intracellular fluid.
- Thus, the photodamaged lysosomes and the normal ones will suffer the same level of osmotic stress in the same hypotonic sucrose medium.
- At the end of the culture period cells were harvested, exposed to a hypotonic solution and fixed in methanol/acetic acid.
- After 15 min five drops of methanol/acetic acid were added to the hypotonic solution to begin cell fixation.
1.2 Physiology Of or in a state of abnormally low muscle tone.
- The infant with botulism becomes progressively weak, hypotonic and hyporeflexic, showing bulbar and spinal nerve abnormalities.
- Cerebral palsy takes the form of a hypotonic tetraplegia when the child has a mobility problem but with floppy muscles.
- On arrival, at 3 hours of age, he was hypotonic with tonic seizures of the upper extremities and bilaterally fixed, dilated pupils.
- Example sentences
- For this reason, extensive efforts have been devoted toward elucidating the mechanisms of REM sleep-related upper airway hypotonia.
- The classic clinical features include constipation, cranial nerve abnormalities, hypotonia, hyporeflexia and respiratory difficulties.
- Additional symptoms of chronic carnitine deficiency can include hypoglycemia, progressive myasthenia, hypotonia, or lethargy.
- Example sentences
- We investigated the effects of hyper- and hypotonicity on ion transport processes.
- With this knowledge, the effects of hypotonicity were assessed by comparing the responses of an isotonic to a hypotonic solution.
- Hyponatremia is most commonly associated with states of hypotonicity; however, it can also occur in states of normal or high osmolarity.
Definition of hypotonic in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.