noun (plural iambuses or iambi /-bī/)Prosody
- another term for iamb.More example sentences
- Of the five kinds of feet illustrated here, the iambus is by far the most often used in English verse; the spondee is the rarest.
- The metre throughout is iambic tetrameter, alternating with trimeter - in other words, lines of four iambuses alternate with lines of three.
- They consist of a collection of seventeen poems in different versions of the iambus, the metre traditionally associated with lampoon.
late 16th century: Latin, from Greek iambos 'iambus, lampoon', from iaptein 'attack verbally' (because the iambic trimeter was first used by Greek satirists).
More definitions of iambusDefinition of iambus in:
- The British & World English dictionary