Definition of icefish in English:
noun (plural same or icefishes)
1 another name for capelin.
- Below the ocean surface lies an even greater diversity of life, replete with corals, sponges and barnacles, as well as icefish and toothfish.
- I lobbed an unweighted icefish with an awkward flip of the heavy boat rod.
- He finds Simon standing alone by the rack of aquariums, tending their captives - the Antarctic limpets, and a lone, prize icefish.
2A scaleless Antarctic fish of pallid appearance with spiny gill covers and a snout shaped like a duck’s bill.
- Chaenocephalus aceratus, family Chaenichthyidae
- Changes to certain residues in ß-tubulin have been suggested to confer cold stability on the MTs of Antarctic icefishes.
- How do Anarctic icefish survive in freezing water?
Definition of icefish in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan