1 (also ichneumon wasp or ichneumon fly) A slender parasitic wasp with long antennae that deposits its eggs in, on, or near the larvae of other insects.
- Family Ichneumonidae, order Hymenoptera: numerous genera and species
More example sentences
- For him, the fiend that shook his faith was the ichneumon wasp, which lays its eggs inside the larvae of the horntail wasp.
- They belong to the order Hymenoptera, which includes bees, wasps, sawflies, and ichneumons.
- The Persians did not worship wood and stone with the Greeks, nor the ibis and ichneumon with the Egyptians.
late 15th century (sense 2): via Latin from Greek ikhneumōn 'tracker', from ikhneuein 'to track', from ikhnos 'track, footstep'.
Definition of ichneumon in:
- The British & World English dictionary