Definition of ichthyosaur in English:
An extinct marine reptile of the Mesozoic era resembling a dolphin, with a long pointed head, four flippers, and a vertical tail.
- They included the great marine reptiles such as ichthyosaurs and plesiosaurs, but also smaller creatures such as ammonites and belemnites - the precursor's of today's squid.
- Vertebrate remains include isolated skeletal elements and tooth plates of palaeonisciform and actinopterygian fish, as well as body fossils of ichthyosaurs and other marine reptiles.
- More distantly related to true dinosaurs were the marine plesiosaurs and ichthyosaurs.
- Example sentences
- The notion that some ichthyosaurian behavior - such as spawning, stranding, or coastal foraging - brought these Shonisaurus together is improbable.
- The largest ichthyosaurian eye that I've measured was 264 mm across, and belonged to a Temnodontosaurus platyodon.
- So here are some estimates of ichthyosaurian weight that I have calculated using a computer program called PaleoMass.
Definition of ichthyosaur in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan