(also ichthyosaurus /ˌikTHēəˈsôrəs/)
An extinct marine reptile of the Mesozoic era resembling a dolphin, with a long pointed head, four flippers, and a vertical tail.
More example sentences
- They included the great marine reptiles such as ichthyosaurs and plesiosaurs, but also smaller creatures such as ammonites and belemnites - the precursor's of today's squid.
- Vertebrate remains include isolated skeletal elements and tooth plates of palaeonisciform and actinopterygian fish, as well as body fossils of ichthyosaurs and other marine reptiles.
- More distantly related to true dinosaurs were the marine plesiosaurs and ichthyosaurs.
- More example sentences
- The notion that some ichthyosaurian behavior - such as spawning, stranding, or coastal foraging - brought these Shonisaurus together is improbable.
- The largest ichthyosaurian eye that I've measured was 264 mm across, and belonged to a Temnodontosaurus platyodon.
- So here are some estimates of ichthyosaurian weight that I have calculated using a computer program called PaleoMass.
Definition of ichthyosaur in:
- The British & World English dictionary