Definition of ichthyosaur in English:
An extinct marine reptile of the Mesozoic era resembling a dolphin, with a long pointed head, four flippers, and a vertical tail.
- Order Ichthyosauria, subclass Diapsida: numerous genera, including Ichthyosaurus
- They included the great marine reptiles such as ichthyosaurs and plesiosaurs, but also smaller creatures such as ammonites and belemnites - the precursor's of today's squid.
- Vertebrate remains include isolated skeletal elements and tooth plates of palaeonisciform and actinopterygian fish, as well as body fossils of ichthyosaurs and other marine reptiles.
- More distantly related to true dinosaurs were the marine plesiosaurs and ichthyosaurs.
- Example sentences
- The notion that some ichthyosaurian behavior - such as spawning, stranding, or coastal foraging - brought these Shonisaurus together is improbable.
- The largest ichthyosaurian eye that I've measured was 264 mm across, and belonged to a Temnodontosaurus platyodon.
- So here are some estimates of ichthyosaurian weight that I have calculated using a computer program called PaleoMass.
Mid 19th century: from ichthyo- 'fish' + Greek sauros 'lizard'.
Definition of ichthyosaur in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.