- 1A mixture of sugar with liquid or butter, typically flavored and colored, and used as a coating for cakes or cookies.More example sentences
- The carton says: ‘Great for cakes, icings, biscuits, French toast, quiche, batters and coatings for baking or frying!’
- Powdery confectioners' sugar contains a small amount of starch, which is desirable in some products like icings and pastry creams but not desirable in brioche.
- Cakes covered with these relatively simple icings are often further decorated with the addition of glacé cherries, angelica, silver dragées, hundreds and thousands, etc.
- 2The formation of ice on an aircraft, ship, or other vehicle, or in an engine.More example sentences
- Mixed ice is the most dangerous kind of airframe icing due to its weight and disruption to the airflow.
- Compared to the turbulence, the hail and the lightning, icing was the biggest threat of all.
- Signs of engine icing could include loss of power, abnormal or slow RPM response to throttle movement, and indications of engine surge or stall.
- 3 Ice Hockey The action of shooting the puck from one’s own end of the rink to the other but not into the goal, for which the referee calls a face-off in one’s own end.More example sentences
- I am 100% in favor of automatic icing when the puck crosses the red line without having to chase it down.
- The momentum bar shows which of the teams is on a roll and often reminds the opposing team that it might be time to dump the puck for an icing call just to relieve the pressure and momentum against them.
- The hockey has not been elegant - there were more icings in the third period of Game 3 than there are in an entire season of The Sopranos - but it has been effective.
the icing (or frosting) on the cake
- An attractive but inessential addition or enhancement: being a scientist is enjoyable, and winning a Nobel is icing on the cakeMore example sentences
- As just a little extra icing on the cake, they decided to change hosts during this process as well.
- Your Fortress response, Jody, was a helpful bit of frosting on the cake.
- The standard 1.8 litre motor is a little beauty and the addition of a turbo adds icing on the cake.