Definition of iconology in English:
1The study of visual imagery and its symbolism and interpretation, especially in social or political terms.
- While iconography is a descriptive and classificatory discipline, iconology is an interpretative method, which aims to contextualize works of art culturally and explore their possible meanings.
- One aim of this essay is to address the issue of interpretations of nineteenth-century art by considering the limits of certain interpretative methods associated with iconography and iconology.
- Bustling iconology notwithstanding, Ji's pictures are not exclusively literary or even representational.
1.1Symbolism: the iconology of a work of art
More example sentences
- This colonial propagandist iconology was equally exploited in media such as postcards, posters, paintings, advertisements, newspapers, magazines, cartoons, and film.
- The word means image, but also copy, and the iconology of 9/11, unlike the real thing which was utterly singular, drew on past images to guide instinctive response.
- If they shared this iconology by more than pure chance, wouldn't the Native Americans have shown some other signs of Arabic influence when the Europeans got there?
- Example sentences
- They have been chosen for iconological rather than aesthetic reasons.
- In the Grand Inquisitor's iconological alchemy, three questions dissolve into three obraza (that is, ‘images’ or ‘icons’), and yet the revelation bursting forth from within these images is contradiction.
- Yet while substantial evaluation of the iconological approach makes up Chapter Two, it is only as a curious sort of postscript that Burke presents a variety of recent theoretical avenues available to historians.
Words that rhyme with iconologyanthropology, apology, archaeology (US archeology), astrology, biology, campanology, cardiology, chronology, climatology, cosmology, craniology, criminology, dermatology, ecology, embryology, entomology, epidemiology, etymology, geology, gynaecology (US gynecology), haematology (US hematology), hagiology, horology, hydrology, ideology, immunology, iridology, kidology, meteorology, methodology, musicology, mythology, necrology, neurology, numerology, oncology, ontology, ophthalmology, ornithology, parasitology, pathology, pharmacology, phraseology, phrenology, physiology, psychology, radiology, reflexology, scatology, Scientology, seismology, semiology, sociology, symbology, tautology, technology, terminology, theology, topology, toxicology, urology, zoology • eulogy • energy • synergy • apogee • liturgy • lethargy
Definition of iconology in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan