Definition of idealist in English:
1A person who is guided more by ideals than by practical considerations: he came to power with the reputation of a left-wing idealist
More example sentences
- A materialist may have no more difficulty with idea or pattern than an idealist has with hardware.
- What the program did do was make me wonder about the hazards of being an idealist.
- A corner of government opened itself to young idealists.
2 Philosophy A person who believes in the theory of idealism.
- For Rorty, an idealist is someone who accepts a coherence theory of truth.
- The greatest of philosophical idealists, the Greek Plato, founded around 25 centuries ago the first Socialist utopian system.
- Phenomenalists, or idealists generally, will reply that realism is mistaken or even incoherent.
Words that rhyme with idealistrealist, surrealist
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan