Definition of idiosyncratic in English:
Of or relating to idiosyncrasy; peculiar or individual: she emerged as one of the great idiosyncratic talents of the Nineties
More example sentences
- Always an idiosyncratic individualist, he seems to have introduced his own pronunciations for the names of players.
- It is idiosyncratic to the individual carer, staff member, or nursing home.
- It remains to be seen whether Irish television can prove a sympathetic home for more idiosyncratic talents than that.
distinctive, individual, individualistic, characteristic, peculiar, typical, special, specific, unique, one-of-a-kind, personal;
eccentric, unconventional, irregular, anomalous, odd, quirky, offbeat, queer, strange, weird, wacky, wingy, bizarre, freakish, abnormal
- Example sentences
- While there are several fine left-of-center sites, the blogosphere currently tilts right, albeit idiosyncratically, reflecting the hard-to-pigeonhole politics of some leading bloggers.
- All that we have to show for nearly six decades of post-colonial art is a single monumental conspectus: an indispensable, if idiosyncratically argued, overview of art in India from the 1890s to the 1990s.
- At a time when most bookstores have enough floor space to sell station wagons or livestock, Query Books is one of the pleasant anomalies - a smartly and idiosyncratically stocked shop with more character than square footage.
Words that rhyme with idiosyncraticachromatic, acrobatic, Adriatic, aerobatic, anagrammatic, aquatic, aristocratic, aromatic, Asiatic, asthmatic, athematic, attic, autocratic, automatic, axiomatic, bureaucratic, charismatic, chromatic, cinematic, climatic, dalmatic, democratic, diagrammatic, diaphragmatic, diplomatic, dogmatic, dramatic, ecstatic, emblematic, emphatic, enigmatic, epigrammatic, erratic, fanatic, hepatic, hieratic, hydrostatic, hypostatic, idiomatic, isochromatic, lymphatic, melodramatic, meritocratic, miasmatic, monochromatic, monocratic, monogrammatic, numismatic, operatic, panchromatic, pancreatic, paradigmatic, phlegmatic, photostatic, piratic, plutocratic, pneumatic, polychromatic, pragmatic, prelatic, prismatic, problematic, programmatic, psychosomatic, quadratic, rheumatic, schematic, schismatic, sciatic, semi-automatic, Socratic, somatic, static, stigmatic, sub-aquatic, sylvatic, symptomatic, systematic, technocratic, thematic, theocratic, thermostatic, traumatic
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan