Definition of idiot in English:
- And he is not coming into court acting like an idiot and being stupid on the stand.
- If he's such an idiot, how stupid are your guys to be losing to him this repeatedly?
- According to reports, at least half of the one hundred sheer blinding idiots stupid enough to mount the fencing and jump needed treatment from paramedics.
- Authorized in 1851, the New York State Asylum for Idiots received its first "pupils" in 1883.
- Rumors have been current that the guardian of the Moscow Cemetery kept an idiot confined in chains.
This comes via Latin idiota ‘ignorant person’, from Greek idiōtēs ‘private person, layman, ignorant person’ based on idios ‘own, private’, and reflecting the attitude in the ancient world to those who did not take an active part in public life.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.