- 1(Of rock) having solidified from lava or magma.More example sentences
- The occurrence of these felsic extrusive igneous rocks potentially provides key information on the complex interplay of magmatism and tectonics.
- This heat gradually accumulates and eventually causes localized eruptions of basaltic magmas (molten igneous rock).
- The prevalence of Late Jurassic subduction-related igneous rocks indicates that arc formation and accretion orogeny were the most important processes during the evolution of this part of the Internal Hellenides.
- 1.1Relating to or involving volcanic processes: igneous activityMore example sentences
- The layering in these ultramafic rocks, and their position above mantle tectonites, is attributed to lower crustal igneous processes.
- However, enormous emphasis has been placed on them for understanding igneous processes and the evolution of Earth.
- On Macquarie Island there's very similar kind of geology, as I'm sure Rick has described; we have mantle rocks and evidence of punctuated deformation events in igneous activity.
- 1.2 • rare Of fire; fiery.More example sentences
- It is an igneous or fiery aura, not indeed in the open act of combustion, but composed of the finest and most minute particles of a peculiar species of elementary fire.
mid 17th century: from Latin igneus (from ignis 'fire') + -ous.
More definitions of igneousDefinition of igneous in:
- The British & World English dictionary