noun (plural ilia /ˈilēə/)
- The large broad bone forming the upper part of each half of the pelvis.More example sentences
- This tilting of the pelvis is effected by the gluteal muscles, which connect the ilium of the hip bone to the lower limb.
- The two coxal bones grow from three separate bones, the ilium, ischium, and pubis.
- The acetabulum is a hemispherical socket formed in the os coxae (ie, bony pelvis) of a newborn where the ilium, ischium, and pubis bones come together.
late 16th century: from Latin, singular of ilia 'flanks, entrails'.
More definitions of IliumDefinition of ilium in:
- The British & World English dictionary