1(Of assets) not easily converted into cash: illiquid assets
More example sentences
- With illiquid assets, exit can destroy the bulk of the firm's invested capital.
- Property is an extremely illiquid asset due to the long time and costs involved in selling a property.
- Historically, property has had a low weighting because it is an illiquid asset.
1.1(Of a market) with few participants and a low volume of activity.
- This market is particularly illiquid so when the bank spotted the losses and decided to close it out, they had to cover the spread and that increased the losses.
- Industry sources claimed the problem lay in too few gas shippers, which had resulted in an illiquid market.
- Just under 5% of its equity is listed in Moscow, although the market is illiquid and few shares change hands.
- Example sentences
- But fund managers are overcoming their distaste for illiquidity in order to seek out value in the sector.
- Its traditional disadvantages of high entry costs leading to illiquidity have been exacerbated, making it more difficult, particularly for the smaller investor, to get a foot on the ladder.
- For his first big embroilment after the 1987 stock market crash, the enemies were discernible and all grouped together on one front - low stock prices, financial system illiquidity, and broken confidence.
Words that rhyme with illiquidliquid
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of illiquid in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.