- 1The inability to read or write: the ineffective educational system meant that illiteracy was widespreadMore example sentences
- I will never forget a poster devoted to the eradication of illiteracy.
- Even in Managua, the Nicaraguan capital, the illiteracy rate is very high.
- We should therefore make the tackling of illiteracy a priority in 2004.
- 1.1Lack of knowledge in a particular subject; ignorance: his economic illiteracyMore example sentences
- Americans seem to be particularly notorious for their geographic illiteracy.
- I get annoyed by the illiteracy of the debate.
- In an era of biblical illiteracy, this approach will help some.