- The belief that material things have no objective existence.More example sentences
- There is less agreement on Berkeley's argumentative approach to idealism and immaterialism and on the role of some of his specific arguments.
- In 1709 he issued An Essay towards a New Theory of Vision, followed in the next year by The Principles of Human Knowledge, the main exposition of his immaterialism.
- What had touched the world's hearts was the ethereal immaterialism of their secluded world and something primal in the music they sang.
- More example sentences
- He was an immaterialist: matter does not exist.
- Philonous needs to convince him (as Berkeley needed to convince his readers in both books) that a commonsensical philosophy could be built on an immaterialist foundation, that no one but a skeptic or atheist would ever miss matter.
- Rather, it's that the good arguments don't even get a hearing since they offer an immaterialist account, and immaterialist accounts can't really be knowledge.
More definitions of immaterialismDefinition of immaterialism in:
- The British & World English dictionary