- Still, is it unethical or immoral to bring an extinct species back from the dead?
- Considered by most to be depraved and immoral, you are obsessed with sex.
- Sometimes we have to take the law into our own hands to expose the bases' illegal and immoral activities.
Immoral means ‘failing to adhere to moral standards.’ Amoral is a more neutral, impartial word meaning ‘without, or not concerned with, moral standards.’ An immoral person commits acts that violate society’s moral norms. An amoral person has no understanding of these norms, or no sense of right and wrong. Amoral may also mean ‘not concerned with, or outside the scope of morality’ (following the pattern of apolitical, asexual). Amoral, then, may refer to a judicial ruling that is concerned only with narrow legal or financial issues. Whereas amoral may be simply descriptive, immoral is judgmental.
- Example sentences
- Some define it using the term ‘murder,’ which generally means kill immorally or illegally; others define it using the term ‘kill,’ which doesn't carry that meaning.
- Most of us think of ourselves as moral people who try to do our best with our small failing (for a cigarette, or a beer), but few of us ever ponder to think that we may be prompting business to act immorally and unethically, if not illegally.
- I think the council have acted totally negligently and immorally throughout this whole upset.
Words that rhyme with immoralamoral, Balmoral, coral, laurel, moral, quarrel, sorel, sorrel
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.