2West Indian A Caribbean tree of the pea family, with a spiny trunk and clusters of red, orange, or pinkish flowers.
- Genus Erythrina, family Leguminosae: two species
More example sentences
- Workers cut an immortelle tree which toppled across the road yesterday, after a freak storm ravaged the area.
- I look for the sky but it is hidden from the eye by the Spanish oaks, genipas, and the giant mountain immortelles arching over the bayrum and coral trees and the pink cedars, that in turn hang over the wild birchberry and guava trees.
- Placed diagonally across the arrangement were the words ‘Latest Edition’ in purple immortelles, surrounded by white carnations.
mid 19th century: French, literally 'everlasting'.
Definition of immortelle in:
- The British & World English dictionary