Definition of impediment in English:
1A hindrance or obstruction in doing something: a serious impediment to scientific progress
More example sentences
- Certainly there was no major legal impediment to multifunctional banking, in which commercial and investment banking are combined.
- But compliance costs are a very major impediment to growth for smaller businesses.
- There should be no greater legal impediment to the movement and trade in one case than in the others.
1.1 (also speech impediment) A defect in a person’s speech, such as a lisp or stammer.
- ‘His lisp was a natural speech impediment, but I think [the producers] were concerned over how it would be received,’ he says.
- Is stuttering considered a speech impediment or a learning disability?
- It also brought out that the young Erika had a speech impediment - a stammer that was so bad she had to go to a special school for one year!
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.