- 1The rotating part of a centrifugal pump, compressor, or other machine designed to move a fluid by rotation.More example sentences
- It can also analyze flows created by assemblies with non-symmetrical enclosures, such as impellers and centrifugal pumps.
- The engine output shaft drives the torque converter's impeller, which uses fins to pump fluid - in this case engine oil - to drive vanes on the torque converter's turbine.
- The stator has one more blade than the impeller, and is designed to reroute the airflow from the fan in a more coherent way, as well as minimize fan noise.
- 1.1A rotating device turned by the flow of water past a ship’s hull, used to measure speed or distance traveled.More example sentences
- The distance traveled can be measured by counting the revolutions of an impeller towed behind the vessel or mounted in its hull.
- The flow of water past the transducer it contained would drive a small impeller to give an electrical signal proportional to the speed of the boat.
More definitions of impellerDefinition of impeller in:
- The British & World English dictionary