Definition of implode in English:
1Collapse or cause to collapse violently inward: [no object]: the windows on both sides of the room had imploded [with object]: these forces would implode the pellet to a density 100 times higher than that of lead
More example sentences
- The window to my left bowed inwards, then imploded in a spray of bottle-green glass and the carriage jerked violently to the side under me, slamming me into the upholstered wall.
- The south tower collapsed on itself, imploding with a force that sent up a cloud of dust and debris so dense it could be seen by satellites orbiting Earth.
- The plasma flying out from the ablation layer implodes the fuel, compressing its density about a thousand times and causing it to burn.
- Example sentences
- We've compiled a list of the most significant implosions of the recent past and the stories surrounding them.
- While we don't often hear about them, there are plenty of implosions happening in Europe.
- Even though all the buildings had exactly the same design, blasters handled the implosions differently for each phase.
Definition of implode in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia