verb (implies, implying, implied)[with object]
1Strongly suggest the truth or existence of (something not expressly stated): the salesmen who uses jargon to imply his superior knowledge [with clause]: the report implies that two million jobs might be lost
More example sentences
- Her words were ripped out of context and her speech was widely reported as implying her support for terrorism.
- The rebirth implied by the concept of the Renaissance had reference to classical learning.
- These data imply that kava extract is superior to placebo as a symptomatic treatment of anxiety.
insinuate, suggest, hint (at), intimate, say indirectly, indicate, give someone to understand, convey the impression, signal
1.1(Of a fact or occurrence) suggest (something) as a logical consequence: the forecasted traffic increase implied more roads and more air pollution
More example sentences
- Caring about the consequences of events of which you disapproved does not imply support for those events.
- To suggest so implies a deep misunderstanding of the nature of consciousness.
- Of course, that one doesn't protest about a thing doesn't necessarily imply endorsement of it.
mean, point to, signify, indicate, signal, connote, denote;
necessitate, require, presuppose
Imply and infer do not mean the same thing and should not be used interchangeably: see infer (usage).
Words that rhyme with implyally, Altai, apply, assai, awry, ay, aye, Baha'i, belie, bi, Bligh, buy, by, bye, bye-bye, chi, Chiangmai, Ciskei, comply, cry, Cy, Dai, defy, deny, Di, die, do-or-die, dry, Dubai, dye, espy, eye, fie, fly, forbye, fry, Frye, goodbye (US goodby), guy, hereby, hi, hie, high, I, I-spy, July, kai, lie, lye, Mackay, misapply, my, nearby, nigh, Nye, outfly, passer-by, phi, pi, pie, ply, pry, psi, Qinghai, rai, rely, rocaille, rye, scry, serai, shanghai, shy, sigh, sky, Skye, sky-high, sly, spin-dry, spry, spy, sty, Sukhotai, supply, Tai, Thai, thereby, thigh, thy, tie, Transkei, try, tumble-dry, underlie, Versailles, Vi, vie, whereby, why, wry, Wye, xi, Xingtai, Yantai
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.