The state or fact of being of great significance or value: the importance of democracy the relative importances of the external and internal causes
More example sentences
- I want to write. I want to be able to spend a day doing nothing of any real importance.
- There was no importance placed on the way you look, because that was not the way you were going to get by.
- Most buildings of importance were pulverised and much of the city is still a ruin.
full of one's own importance
- Having a very high opinion of oneself; self-important.Example sentences
- He accused local Councillors of not having a clue and being full of their own importance.
- Some were engaging, others pompous, and yet others far too full of their own importance.
- They don't need some literary twit full of his own importance to tell them ‘You're too common to describe the world for yourself; better let me do it for you.’
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.