1Of great significance or value; likely to have a profound effect on success, survival, or well-being: important habitats for wildlife it is important to avoid monosyllabic answers [sentence adverb]: the speech had passion and, more important, compassion
More example sentences
- They recognize that the national interest is an important value in world politics.
- From this point of view, it is also very important to practice compassion and patience.
- It is important to avoid any further exposure to the sun until the burns have healed.
main, chief, principal, key, major, salient, prime, foremost, paramount, overriding, crucial, vital, critical, essential, significant;
of value, valuable, (highly) prized, beneficial, necessary, essential, indispensable, vital;
of concern, of interest, relevant, pertinent
1.1(Of a person) having high rank or status.
- So we asked our own oracle to look at the year ahead for some of the most important people in Irish business.
- After all, in economic terms at least, a movie star is the most important person on the set.
- For my family are the most important people in my life. They are what I live and work for.
powerful, influential, of influence, well connected, high-ranking, high-powered;
prominent, eminent, preeminent, notable, noteworthy, of note;
distinguished, esteemed, respected, prestigious, celebrated, famous, great
informal affluential, major league
1.2(Of an artist or artistic work) significantly original and influential.
- It would almost seem that he accomplished his body of important work without effort.
- Some of his most important work was carried out while he held this post in Heidelberg.
- It is a fine addition to a growing body of work by one of Lakeland's most important authors.
significant, consequential, momentous, of great import, major;
critical, crucial, vital, pivotal, decisive, urgent, historic;
serious, grave, weighty, material, impactful
formal of great moment
Words that rhyme with importantoughtn't
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.