- Used in describing what is supposed to happen or be possible, usually with the implication that it does not in fact happen: in theory, things can only get better; in practice, they may well become a lot worseMore example sentences
- The precautionary principle sounds good in theory, but in practice it is a nightmare.
- Radar also uses microwaves, so that in theory it would be possible to cook food by putting it at the focus of a radar dish.
- The software makes it possible, in theory, to see and manage files on any storage system or server.
More definitions of in theoryDefinition of in theory in:
- The British & World English dictionary