verb (past and past participle inbred)[no object] (often as noun inbreeding)
- Breed from closely related people or animals, especially over many generations: persistent inbreeding has produced an unusually high frequency of sufferers from this diseaseMore example sentences
- Furthermore, the best, and indeed the only way to fix a set of alleles within a breed is through inbreeding.
- This was necessary to avoid the closer inbreeding when the breed became endangered.
- With inbreeding among gametes, however, an entirely different picture emerges.
More definitions of inbreedDefinition of inbreed in:
- The British & World English dictionary