- The few articles of furniture included a narrow bed, a chair, and a desk in one corner.
- The fries were quite good, and they are included in the price of the dinner.
- On our honeymoon Shara was only allowed breakfast and dinner because lunch was not included in the price.
- The FBI's documents included no hint as to how someone mistakenly put on can get himself removed.
- The Prime Minister hinted yesterday that legislation on airguns may be included in the Queen's Speech.
- The Supreme Court filings included only a hint of the nastiness and sleaze from the family fight.
- There might be a cousin visiting and you have to decide whether you include him in the sample.
- I also seem to recall that Clarke said this encounter included him and other unnamed persons.
- He is included by name regardless of whether or not he has children.
Include has a broader meaning than comprise. In the sentence the accommodations comprise two bedrooms, bathroom, kitchen, and living room, the word comprise implies that there are no accommodations other than those listed. Include can be used in this way too, but it is also used in a nonrestrictive way, implying that there may be other things not specifically mentioned that are part of the same category, as in the price includes a special welcome pack. Careful writers will avoid superfluous uses of ‘including . . . and more,’ commonly imitated from advertising. The ‘and more’ is superfluous because including or includes implies that there is more than what is listed.
Late Middle English (also in the sense 'shut in'): from Latin includere, from in- 'into' + claudere 'to shut'.
Words that rhyme with includeallude, brood, collude, conclude, crude, delude, dude, elude, étude, exclude, extrude, exude, feud, food, illude, intrude, Jude, lewd, mood, nude, obtrude, occlude, Oudh, preclude, protrude, prude, pseud, pultrude, rood, rude, seclude, shrewd, snood, transude, unglued, unsubdued, who'd, you'd
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.