1Frequently changing; variable or irregular: their exact dimensions aren’t easily measured since they are inconstant
More example sentences
- But fire is a strange stuff to make the origin of all things, for it is the most inconstant and changeable.
- This Stoic tradition was quite clear that respect for human dignity could move us to appropriate action, both personal and social, without our having to rely at all on the messier and more inconstant motive of compassion.
- Cuts in foreign affairs and defense spending, inattention to the tools of statecraft, and inconstant leadership are making it increasingly difficult to sustain American influence around the world.
1.1(Of a person or their behavior) not faithful and dependable.
- But with Kerry the charge isn't that he's inconstant.
- And that tells voters (as it probably should) that you're inconstant and unserious.
- One can be physically promiscuous without being emotionally unfaithful, flighty, or inconstant.
- Example sentences
- They excel in fickleness, inconstancy, absence of thought and logic and incapacity to reason.
- Unpredictability and inconstancy in parenting is one very important factor affecting a child negatively.
- A good way to break down hierarchies - but how free can they stand, given the inconstancy of progressive funding and radical intervention?
- Example sentences
- Pseudohole disappears inconstantly after surgery, but its persistence does not preclude good postoperative visual recovery.
- Keeps the head inconstantly and doesn't stay in the sit position.
- Fronds simple, or pinnate with the lower pinnae not decresent (small basal pinnae are inconstantly present in Amphineuron)
Pronunciation: /inˈkänztənsē/ Pronunciation: /inˈkänstənsē/ Pronunciation: /iNGˈkänztənsē/ Pronunciation: /iNGˈkänstənsē/noun (plural inconstancies)
Pronunciation: /inˈkänztəntlē/ Pronunciation: /inˈkänstəntlē/ Pronunciation: /iNGˈkänztəntlē/ Pronunciation: /iNGˈkänstəntlē/adverb
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.