- 1Owing money: heavily indebted countriesMore example sentences
- This does not cover countries like Nigeria, which is among the most indebted, but owes the money to private lenders.
- Several farmers explained that as they become more indebted they have to turn to private traders and money lenders.
- The indebted Bassanio needs to marry Portia for money as much as for love.
- 1.1Owing gratitude for a service or favor: I am indebted to her for her help in indexing my bookMore example sentences
- The government and all citizens are indebted to them for their service.
- What this means is that if someone was very good to him and did him some favours, he would be indebted to them for life.
- The fire service were also on the scene swiftly and we are indebted to them for their actions.
- More example sentences
- This should lead to better monitoring of debt levels and reduced indebtedness among borrowers.
- The auto industry is taking steps to reduce indebtedness and cut costs to prepare for increased competition.
- Increasing poverty is inevitably accompanied by the growth of private indebtedness.
Middle English endetted, from Old French endette 'involved in debt', past participle of endetter. The spelling change in the 16th century was due to association with medieval Latin indebitare (based on Latin debitum 'debt').