Definition of indefinite in English:
1Lasting for an unknown or unstated length of time: they may face indefinite detention
More example sentences
- Until recently, though, they failed to do so, and Chapters capitalized on this reluctance by deferring payments - to everyone - for an almost indefinite length.
- In most cases, such detail is stored for indefinite lengths of time.
- Readers of the Star Tribune will remain in their cloud of unknowing for the indefinite future.
1.1Not clearly expressed or defined; vague: their status remains indefinite
More example sentences
- Most mainstream politics have capitulated to the normalization of a state of indefinite, vague and continuous low-level war.
- But should so vague and indefinite a threat to peace be sufficient reason for military intervention?
- The water is deep here and such a dark blue that the lines of the tiles at the bottom are obscured, indefinite.
1.2 Grammar (Of a word, inflection, or phrase) not determining the person, thing, time, etc., referred to.
- A sentence stating that something exists, usually consisting of there, the verb be, and an indefinite noun phrase: There's a tavern in the town.
- On this account, it is the polysemy of the indefinite article that gives rise to the ambiguity of the indefinite noun phrase.
- While bare plurals are ambiguous between the two readings, indefinite singulars can only refer to a rule or a regulation.
- Example sentences
- Anxiety is endowed with a certain character of indefiniteness and objectlessness; correct usage even changes its name when it has found an object, and in that case speaks instead of fear.
- What we see, then, is a subtle mix of the fixedness that a posed portrait inevitably generates and a blurred indefiniteness, partly from camera shake and partly from the haze created by bright sunlight or late afternoon shadow.
- Such matters are embedded in a gray sector of controversy and indefiniteness and are likely to remain so for the next decade, at the very least.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan