Definition of indehiscent in English:
(Of a pod or fruit) not splitting open to release the seeds when ripe.
- It appears that the dehiscent and indehiscent forms do not belong to separate species, rather dehiscence is segregating within populations.
- Despite this distribution, dehiscence does not occur in two sets: when the flower opens usually only one or two stamens are fertile, the others being short and indehiscent; these gradually elongate and open.
- He observed that only pulpy, but indehiscent, fruits with a juicy, sweet flesh produce ethanol when becoming overripe.
- Example sentences
- Research is also in progress to obtain indehiscence through mutations and also to splice the appropriate Cuphea genes into a conventional crop such as rape.
- Monroella and Petriea exhibit these features and by the development of indehiscence of the pod, the Huttonella subgenus subsequently arose.
- The tapetum degenerates earlier than usual, resulting in high pollen sterility, and anther indehiscence occurs when pollen stainability falls below 20 percent.
Definition of indehiscent in:
- British & World English dictionary