- another term for deictic.
nounBack to top
- An indexical word or expression.More example sentences
- Therefore, proper names are semantically singular referring expressions, closely allied to indexicals, demonstratives, and singular descriptions.
- The ‘this is’ form also reminds us that language itself is merely indexical, merely pointing without any privileged relation to comprehension.
early 20th century: coined in this sense by the American philosopher C. S. Peirce.
More definitions of indexicalDefinition of indexical in:
- The British & World English dictionary