- A potassium salt present in urine, in which it occurs as a product of the metabolism of indole.
More example sentences
- Alternative name: potassium indoxylsulphate; chemical formula C8H6NOSO2OH
- We have studied the effect of indican on six commercial procedures for the measurement of total bilirubin in serum.
- It has been suggested that up to a half of elderly hospitalized patients excrete an abnormally high concentration of indican compared with young individuals.
mid 19th century: from Latin indicum 'indigo' (because of its early use denoting an indoxyl glucoside occurring in the leaves of indigo plants) + -an.
More definitions of indicanDefinition of indican in:
- The British & World English dictionary