- 1Serving as a sign or indication of something: having recurrent dreams is not necessarily indicative of any psychological problemMore example sentences
- Thinking about it, it is perhaps time for a general shake-up of road names and signs in this area to make them more indicative of their use.
- The fact that we have kept so many clients for so many years is more indicative of the service we have provided.
- Watching Paul glance over several times at Dan's guitar with a half smile was very indicative of how much Dan can blow everyone away while performing.
- 2 Grammar Denoting a mood of verbs expressing simple statement of a fact. Compare with subjunctive.More example sentences
- If a regular pronoun and indicative mood are used, it shows that the speaker asserts that the report is true.
- He wants to move the claim from the conditional to the indicative mood, as the grammarians would say.
- The third-person singular indicative ending in Shakespeare's verbs could be either s, as now, or the older th.
nounGrammar Back to top
- 1A verb in the indicative mood.More example sentences
- Thus, if a language has long-distance reflexivization with indicatives, then it will necessarily have it with (if relevant) subjunctives, infinitives, small clauses, and NPs.
- And the form is, of course, the first-person singular present active indicative.
- Is ‘preserve’ in a poem being discussed an indicative or subjunctive?
- 1.1 (the indicative) The indicative mood.More example sentences
- This is not simply to avoid criticisms of judgment speech by translating it from the indicative to the optative.
- Moreover, the shift in grammatical mood from subjunctive to indicative underscores how plausible this vision is.
- Success is articulated not in the indicative but in the subjunctive: potential threats removed; future wars that don't have to be fought.
- More example sentences
- ‘Let me,’ he said indicatively, dipping the strawberry into the fall of chocolate.
- The abstract was better, written indicatively and discipline-oriented.
- The following diagram indicatively illustrates the consensus view reflected in the ten workshop plans.