Definition of induct in English:
1Admit (someone) formally to a position or organization: each worker, if formally inducted into the Mafia, is known as a “soldier.”
More example sentences
- I was inducted into the Phi Theta Kappa international honors society earlier this evening - it's some sort of society for honors students with high overall grades.
- She was inducted into the world of classical music by her mother at the age of four and has been receiving training since then.
- She was rapidly inducted into the American Academy and Institute of Arts & Letters.
admit to, allow into, introduce to, initiate into, install in, instate in, swear into;
1.1Formally introduce (a member of the clergy) into possession of a benefice.
- He was inducted to the pastorate of East Street Baptist Church in the London Borough of Southwick.
- He was inducted to the pastorate of the Reformed Baptist Church, Inverness, on 17 January.
- The service was held at St Mary's Parish Church and the newly inducted Vicar led the service in which the church choir took part.
1.2US Enlist (someone) for military service.
- Unfortunately, Donald was drafted for military service and was inducted into the U.S. Army in July.
- In early 1941, he was inducted for a one-year draft at age 30, gaining a discharge on December 5 of that year.
- He was the first post-World War I major leaguer inducted into military service in 1941.
1.3 (induct someone in/into) Introduce someone to (a difficult or obscure subject): my master inducted me into the skills of magic
More example sentences
- In Benaras he came in close contact with Karpatriji Maharaj, who inducted him into the Shaivite school of Hinduism and he was renamed Shiv Sharan.
- I was inducted into the arcane mysteries of shutter speeds, f-stops, ASA / ISO and the curious phenomenon of the (separate, handheld) light meter.
- You are inducted into a reservoir of knowledge.
introduce to, acquaint with, familiarize with, make conversant with;
ground in, instruct in, teach in, educate in, school in
- Example sentences
- Looking at the list of inductees, it is telling to note that record label support (major label support in the vast majority of cases) is almost the rule.
- The five inductees in the performer category were the top vote-getters among 15 nominees on this year's ballot.
- I wore one from 18-22; I left it out on my first day at work only to find that one of my fellow inductees also had one
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan