noun (plural indusia /-ZHēə, -zēə/)chiefly Botany
- A thin membranous covering, especially a shield covering a sorus on a fern frond.More example sentences
- The leaf margins themselves are often reflexed to form false indusia that protect the sori.
- The latter is covered by the indusium griseum, a thin sheet of rudimentary cortex containing (on each side) the delicate medial and lateral longitudinal striae.
- The upper surface of the intermediate portion of the corpus callosum is covered by a thin veil of gray substance - the indusium griseum.
early 18th century: from Latin, literally 'tunic', from induere 'put on, don'.
More definitions of indusiumDefinition of indusium in:
- The British & World English dictionary