- 1Of, relating to, or characterized by industry: a small industrial townMore example sentences
manufacturing, factory; commercial, business, trade
- The Government has been arguing that it is this measure that will be the ultimate safeguard for citizens involved in peaceful protests and industrial strikes.
- There is talk of how Bilbao, a small industrial town on the North coast of Spain, through its Guggenheim Museum.
- A disused coal mine shaft was used for decades to dump hundreds of tons of industrial waste.
- 1.1Having highly developed industries: the major industrial nationsMore example sentences
- Accordingly in 1939 only the more developed industrial nations could hope to exercise any significant degree of air power.
- He spoke after the conclusion of the annual meeting of the Group of 20 industrial and developing nations near Beijing yesterday.
- The death penalty has long isolated the United States among Western industrial nations.
- 1.2Designed or suitable for use in industry: industrial heating oil
- 1.3(Of a disease or injury) contracted or sustained in the course of employment, especially in a factory.More example sentences
- They gave broad political endorsement to the new wording in the sections dealing with health care, industrial injury benefits, and death grants.
- The death was caused by an industrial disease or related to the deceased's employment or to an accident, violence, neglect, abortion, or poisoning.
- He died earlier this year after contracting the killer industrial disease mesothelioma, which is caused by exposure to asbestos dust.
- 1.4Relating to or denoting a type of harsh, uncompromising rock music incorporating sounds resembling those produced by industrial machinery.More example sentences
- They incorporate industrial noise, samples and filters, shifting gears but never losing focus or edge.
- It's a more industrial sound, but also with a heavy metal twist.
- The sounds become electronic drones, otherworldly howls, pulverizing static, and then are melded into harsh industrial soundscapes.
noun(industrials) Back to top
- Shares in industrial companies.More example sentences
- Even with the Nasdaq off 9%, its stock price has soared 60% this year, to 70, outperforming the rest of the Dow Jones industrials.
- It wasn't until May 26, 1896, that Dow split transportation and industrials into two different averages, creating what we know now as the Dow Jones Industrial Average.
- Will this stock remain on the Dow Jones industrials?
- More example sentences
- It's not the most definitive account of why America dominates the world industrially, economically, militarily, politically, and culturally.
- He even spoke of having ‘five or six Singapores and seven Shanghais’ in Gujarat and was confident of Gujarat leading industrially and even agriculturally.
- Cod are most scarce in the areas of the North Sea which are being industrially fished.