Not achieving maximum productivity; wasting or failing to make the best use of time or resources: an old, inefficient factory the government was both inefficient and corrupt
More example sentences
- This he ascribed to two trends: declining productivity growth and the inefficient use of labour.
- Indeed, it would be inefficient to waste time perfecting the literary value.
- A fall in asset turnover is normally associated with an inefficient use of resources within a business.
ineffective, ineffectual, unproductive, incompetent, inept, incapable, unfit, unskillful, inexpert, amateurish, unprofessional;
informal lousy, useless, good-for-nothing
uneconomical, wasteful, unproductive, time-wasting, slow;
deficient, disorganized, unsystematic
- Example sentences
- Insulin resistance, a condition in which the body handles glucose poorly because cells respond inefficiently to insulin, is a precursor to type II diabetes.
- A man who exercises his faculties but does so inefficiently or badly cannot be said to be making a success of his life.
- She said: ‘It is appalling that public money is being used so inefficiently.’
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.