Definition of inferno in English:
noun (plural infernos)
1A large fire that is dangerously out of control.
- Crews fought the flames for 15 minutes before getting the inferno under control but had to remain at the scene for 90 minutes.
- We certainly didn't want to turn a fire into an inferno, but we were sitting in a burning jet.
- A police helicopter also circled the site, sending images of the inferno down to fire crews to help them tackle the blaze.
2 (usually Inferno) Hell (with reference to Dante’s Divine Comedy).
- As we have already seen, Dante's guide through Inferno or Hell, was the Roman poet and pagan, Virgil.
- Dante put him in the 9th Circle of Hell in The Inferno because he was the first one to put his own face on the money he produced.
- This guy appeared among the enchanters in the eighth circle of Hell in Dante's Inferno, so he must have been almighty.