1Material that fills or is used to fill a space or hole.
- The crane lifted a large bottom-dump concrete bucket filled with granular infill material.
- The three-dimensional network of interconnected, perforated cells is filled with select infill materials such as topsoil, aggregates, concrete, or a combination of those materials.
- Here, to free this wall of the defect meant considerable extra labour costs, extra materials and extra infill of a higher quality, which goes beyond the standard.
1.1Buildings constructed to occupy the space between existing ones.
- When a developer first proposed building infill housing on the playground and parking lot of an old school and turning the school into condominiums, the neighbors were ready for revolt.
- I am disappointed because it was an opportunity to clamp down on the destruction of the existing community by infill development.
- Menston villagers have previously called for residents to ask for protection orders on trees in their gardens, to help preserve the character of the village, and also as a bar on infill housing developments.
1Fill or block up (a space or hole).
- In this case, the matrix seen through the hole would represent sediment that has infilled an indentation originating in the interior of the valve.
- I do not see this letter as seriously detracting from the general recognition that the restoration stage commences with the cessation of infilling the Site and the capping.
- The settlement pattern expanded and previously sparsely settled areas were infilled, especially in the Valley of Mexico.
1.1Construct new buildings between (existing structures).
- New development on the edge of an existing town is often preferable to infilling on many small - often sensitive - sites in the town itself, or creating new villages in open countryside, with the added problems of commuting.
- Policy LP17 sets out 4 circumstances in which infilling or groups of dwelling will be refused planning permission.
- Still others impose moratoriums on any new development until all established areas are infilled.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of infill in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.