noun (plural infirmaries)
1A place in a large institution for the care of those who are ill: the prison infirmary
More example sentences
- When I went down to the prison infirmary, I walked down there on my own and I didn't really lose much blood.
- Her eyes opened and she stared up at him curiously, seeming not in the least bit surprised to be sleeping in the prison infirmary.
- Phineas is taken to the school's infirmary where he is cared for by Doctor Stanhope.
- There were also in Baghdad numerous colleges of learning, hospitals, infirmaries for both sexes and lunatic asylums.
- Nuns also provided cheap personnel for preschools, infirmaries, sanitariums, asylums, soup kitchens, and orphanages, especially in the North.
- Soon the hotel began to resemble an infirmary, with dozens of guests in various stages of illness strewn around the lobby every night.
Definition of infirmary in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.