noun (plural infirmaries)
1A place in a large institution for the care of those who are ill: the prison infirmary
More example sentences
- When I went down to the prison infirmary, I walked down there on my own and I didn't really lose much blood.
- Her eyes opened and she stared up at him curiously, seeming not in the least bit surprised to be sleeping in the prison infirmary.
- Phineas is taken to the school's infirmary where he is cared for by Doctor Stanhope.
- There were also in Baghdad numerous colleges of learning, hospitals, infirmaries for both sexes and lunatic asylums.
- Nuns also provided cheap personnel for preschools, infirmaries, sanitariums, asylums, soup kitchens, and orphanages, especially in the North.
- Soon the hotel began to resemble an infirmary, with dozens of guests in various stages of illness strewn around the lobby every night.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of infirmary in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.