Definition of inflammatory in English:
1Relating to or causing inflammation of a part of the body.
- Ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease are idiopathic inflammatory disorders of unknown aetiology.
- Fistulae may result from localized infection or indicate inflammatory bowel disease.
- Lupus is a chronic inflammatory disease in which your immune system attacks some of your own cells.
2(Especially of speech or writing) arousing or intended to arouse angry or violent feelings: inflammatory slogans
More example sentences
- Some journalists have attacked the inflammatory speeches of some imams.
- He was charged with making inflammatory speeches and inciting people to violence.
- We can only speculate as to why Mr Townend chose to deliver his inflammatory speech when he did.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan