Definition of inflorescence in English:
1The complete flower head of a plant including stems, stalks, bracts, and flowers.
- Flowers are generally borne solitarily in leaf axils or in inflorescences subtended by bracts, but some taxa are ebractate.
- Less coherent expression was detected in the endodermis of the root elongation zone, in the stem of the young inflorescence, pollen tubes, base of axillary buds, ovules, chalazal endosperm, and fruit abscission zone.
- Each genus was further subdivided into three sections based on number of flowers per inflorescence, bract shape, size, and texture, degree of style fusion, and capsule shape.
1.1The arrangement of the flowers on a plant.
- Quantitative genetic statistics for inflorescence traits reared under long days have been reported previously.
- The former group includes those subspecies that show evolutionary alterations in inflorescence morphologies.
- Iltis and DOEBLEY divided the Mexican annual teosintes into two subspecies on the basis of ecology and inflorescence morphology.
1.2The process of flowering.
- Thus, significant inflorescence and floral meristem activity is restored to stm null mutant plants in the absence of ULT1 function.
- Such data may explain our significant difference in fruits per inflorescence between sites.
- The numbers of flowers closed, opened and withered in every marked inflorescence were periodically recorded during the flowering period.
Definition of inflorescence in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.