Definition of information scent in English:
1Visual or textual cues provided on a website to suggest what information it or its links may contain.
- Many organisations resolve the problem of weak information scents by listing content in multiple places.
- Studies on information scent also appear limited to textual cues for vision and do not seem to consider other senses or modalities such as sound.
- Other tools include ways to spread activation by using labels with strong information scent so that paths are more attractive and lead to richer patches of information.
1.1The perceived usefulness of a website based on visual or textual cues.
- The mechanisms supporting information scent likely draw on the semantic networks that are unique to each individual.
- This paper proposes two ways of measuring user perceptions of information scent in order to assess the product quality of Web or Internet information retrieval systems.
- Jared Spool has talked at great lengths about the idea of information scent, basically giving the user an idea of what lies behind a link before they click it.