nounchiefly • dialect
- 1A domestic fire or fireplace.More example sentences
- The fashionable gallant pampered himself by indulging in ‘high fare, soft lodging, fine clothes,’ as well as by keeping a ‘mistress abroad and an ingle at home.’
- 1.1An inglenook.More example sentences
- The kitchen reveals an old ingle fireplace and dining table with plates and cutlery while a wooden staircase leads to the main bedroom.
- The centerpiece of the kitchen is an ingle fireplace, the only source of cooking.
early 16th century (originally Scots): perhaps from Scottish Gaelic aingeal 'light, fire', Irish aingeal 'live ember'.
More definitions of ingleDefinition of ingle in:
- The British & World English dictionary