- 1Existing or occurring at the beginning: our initial impression was favorableMore example sentences
- They want to see if the initial, favorable impression was justified.
- The initial impression is of a tiny, brilliantly painted chapel.
- There were 1,703 initial claims by newly discharged veterans, an increase of 9 from the preceding week.
- 1.1(Of a letter) at the beginning of a word.More example sentences
- This simple activity helps students focus on initial letters in words in both languages.
- In Experiment 2, we found that the initial letter of the solution word was no better as a cue than either the middle or last letter.
- In PDF files particularly, initial letters may be separated from the rest of the word.
noun(usually initials) Back to top
- The first letter of a name or word, typically a person’s name or a word forming part of a phrase: they carved their initials into the tree trunkMore example sentences
- It would have been helpful to have each man's name or initials before each letter.
- Bach concluded all his works with the letters AMDG - the initials of the Latin words meaning ‘To the greater glory of God’.
- Robert's wife Susan said that the irons had such a positive effect that they gave someone who used them a good hair day - the initials of this phrase then became the company's name.
verb (initials, initialing, initialed ; British initials, initialling, initialled)[with object] Back to top
- 1Mark or sign (a document) with one’s initials, especially in order to authorize or validate it.More example sentences
- Jones read over and initialled or signed the document.
- Please initial any alterations you make thereafter signing the statement of truth at the end.
- This document, which he signed and initialed, reads as follows.
- 1.1Agree to or ratify (a treaty or contract) by signing it.More example sentences
- The PA Supervisory Board's decision came as a surprise to foreign investors and the public in Bulgaria, after the PA initialled the draft contract with Viva Ventures.
- The Tlicho Agreement was initialled Sept. 4 by the chief negotiators of the Dogrib Treaty 11 council, the government of the Northwest Territories and the government of Canada.
- Raul Castro initialed a draft treaty with the Soviet Defense Minister that governed the deployment of Soviet forces to Cuba.
early 16th century: from Latin initialis, from initium 'beginning', from inire 'go in', from in- 'into' + ire 'go'.