- An older rock formation isolated among newer rocks.More example sentences
- At the base of the erosional hollow, an inlier of Jurassic rocks crops out below the late Cimmerian unconformity.
- These rocks do not, however, crop out as a continuous mountain range but in isolated inliers, many of which were uplifted during the Tertiary in response to Alpine movements.
- However, it is thought that the Lower Palaeozoic inliers to the southeast (Kildare and Leinster Massif) were emergent at the time of mineralization.
mid 19th century: from in, on the pattern of outlier.
More definitions of inlierDefinition of inlier in:
- The British & World English dictionary